As a part of Neema outreach activities, this programme entails widespread social and health education interventions directed at young people, their parents, their teachers as well as school personnel, finally benefiting the whole community.
It takes place on a regular basis in schools (both formal and informal) in the marginalized areas of Nairobi North-East: namely Babadogo, Korogocho, Huruma, Mathare, Kariobangi and Kahawa/Soweto.
The objective of the HEP is to generally improve life and health conditions of the youth living in a challenging environment, specifically by promoting a healthy lifestyle.
In order to fulfil this goal, the HEP carries out the following activities:
• Sessions of awareness creation, information, sensitization and counselling in 39 schools
• Referral of cases in need of medical attention
• Youth Conferences, involving at least 500 young people who are not enrolled in schools and therefore more exposed to the high risks related to “street-life”
• Training of teachers, Head teachers and school staff
• Seminaries for parents
• Community events or “Public Rallies”
• De-worming activities for children are carried out regularly in schools as a component of this programme.